Join the DOUG Database forum on Thursday, March 30th for a presentation entitled, Database Benchmarking: Miseries, Myths and Misconceptions. It will be presented by Bert Scalzo from Idera.
Database benchmarking is a task that many DBA’s only perform on rare occasion – such as before adopting a new hardware and/or software platform. Yet the DBA is often asked to provide an expert opinion on the relative chance for success based upon performing database benchmarks. Yet most database benchmarking projects fail totally or provide less than accurate predictions often resulting in huge surprises. The basic or root cause is almost universally due to common myths and misconceptions. In this session Oracle ACE Bert Scalzo will prepare you to perform both repeatable and reliable database benchmarks – and how to avoid the most common problems and their associated misery.
Refreshments sponsored by McNeely Technology Solutions.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if your plans change.
Bert Scalzo is an Oracle ACE, blogger, author, speaker, consultant, and Senior Product Manager for DBArtisan and Rapid SQL at IDERA. Bert also spent 15 years as chief architect for the popular Toad family of products at Quest Software. He has three decades of Oracle® database experience and previously worked for both Oracle Education and Oracle Consulting. Bert holds several Oracle Masters certifications and his academic credentials include a BS, MS and Ph.D. in computer science, as well as an MBA. He has presented at numerous Oracle conferences and user groups, including OOW, ODTUG, IOUG, OAUG, RMOUG and many others. Bert’s areas of interest include data modeling, database benchmarking, database tuning and optimization, “star schema” data warehouses, Linux® and VMware®. He has written for Oracle Technology Network (OTN), Oracle Magazine, Oracle Informant, PC Week (eWeek), Dell Power Solutions Magazine, The LINUX Journal, LINUX.com, Oracle FAQ and Toad World. Bert has also written the following books:
- Oracle DBA Guide to Data Warehousing and Star Schemas
- TOAD Handbook (1st Edition)
- TOAD Handbook (2nd Edition)
- TOAD Pocket Reference (2nd Edition)
- Database Benchmarking: Practical Methods for Oracle & SQL Server
- Advanced Oracle Utilities: The Definitive Reference
- Oracle on VMware: Expert Tips for Database Virtualization
- Introduction to Oracle: Basic Skills for any Oracle User
- Introduction to SQL Server: Basic Skills for Any SQL Server User
- TOAD Unleashed
- Leveraging Oracle Database 12cR2 Testing Tools (coming 2017)